Extra rooms can quickly turn into catch-alls. You move in, and suddenly that space ends up full of holiday decorations, old school projects and the extra chair you can’t find anywhere else to place.
But is that the best use of your space — especially after the money you put into your property? Probably not.
Instead of letting that extra room fall by the wayside, consider one of these five uses:
- Home Gym: One positive use of your space: a place to improve your health and fitness. Add a treadmill, a weight rack, a yoga mat or a stationary bike. You might also consider installing a TV to watch virtual workouts and classes.
- Family Game Room: Create an area the whole family can enjoy. Buy an air hockey or ping pong table, some board games and video game consoles, a big screen TV or projector and, of course, a comfortable couch that’s big enough for everyone.
- Rental Space: If you’re comfortable with it, you could look into laws around renting out a room to a short- or long-term tenant. A major perk of this option? It might provide some extra income that will help you achieve your financial goals.
- Home Office: Will you be working remotely for the foreseeable future? If you haven’t already, creating a dedicated home office may help you be more productive. Set up a roomy desk, install good lighting and invest in a nice chair to keep you comfortable.
- Playroom: If you have kids or pets, use the space for them. Fill it with books, toys and games that kids will love. If you have pets, add a scratching post, feeding stations and a comfy bed to curl up in.
Are you looking for a way to pay for updates like these to your property? Get in touch today to learn about your financing options.